Salmon Burgers with Spicy Mayo
Salmon is a go to for me. It's nutritionally dense, loaded with protein and healthy fats, and so so flavorful. Miso Salmon may just be my family's favorite preparation, but I wanted to shake things up a bit and came up with this yummy burger. It's a crowd pleaser and not complicated to prepare. A little patience and a sharp knife is recommended to properly chop the salmon (but this is not difficult) especially if making these for a crowd. Be careful not to take short cuts by grinding or mincing. It will be worth it! I also recommend you ask your fishmonger to remove the skin for you (you may keep this as it's delicious crispy). The recipe doubles and triples quite easily!
Salmon Burger with Spicy Mayo
- 1 lb Salmon, chopped
- 1 spring onion or scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup salt cured capers, rinsed and dried
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 x-large egg, beaten
- 3 Tbs Panko whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 handful of basil, chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise of choice
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp Sriracha (or to taste)
- Olive oil
- Fresh Ground Pepper and sea salt
- Chop the salmon being careful not to grind or mince. You want texture.
- Add capers, onion/scallion, mustard and chopped greens to the salmon and thoroughly combine.
- Add the beaten egg and the breadcrumb and mix this well.
- Cover and chill for a minimum of one hour.
- For the Sriracha mayonnaise: Add the lemon zest and juice and Sriracha to the mayonnaise and mix this well with some fresh pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Add a bit of olive oil to both sides of the salmon burger and put it in a pan on medium/high heat. Allow to cook for 3 minutes per side. They will be fragile, so handle carefully. These are also great on the grill.
- In the meanwhile: toast buns of choice, prepare your favorite burger fixings.
- Slather spicy mayo on buns, and serve allowing everyone to assemble their own. Enjoy!